This is where it’s safe (and you’re encouraged!) to ditch your to-do list. Ignore the laundry. Shake off perfectionism. And create for the sake of creating.
Everything we do is rooted in kindness and being a good human. The community is a place to feel inspired, supported, and accepted.
THE GET MESSY COMMUNITY IS A DIGITAL OPEN ART STUDIO.
Come in with your mug of coffee, wearing your paint stained clothes, and unpack your bag full of art supplies. Pull up a chair, open your journal, and chat as you create. Share your work, celebrate and be celebrated, ask and answer questions, and share your favourite art supplies.
THE MESSY MANIFESTO
As a community, we believe in...
That we grow through play, learn through practice and that creation comes from embracing the beauty of the messy middle. The only thing not invited to this party? Perfectionism. Leave that guy at the gate.
That the starving artist myth needs to die (kindly but quickly), and that quality comes through quantity. That to do our best, we need to be willing to do the work, hustle and turn dreams into habits that we action every single day.
CONNECTION THROUGH THE COMMUNITY
Being a creative soul can be lonely. Which is why we believe in support and supporting you through every stage of your artistic journey. Because we know that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts.
We might eat donuts as we dabble with paint palettes, but we’ll only ever consume (and provide!) the type of high-quality creative inspiration that feeds our motivation and fuels our art into action.
Being creative isn’t a curse; it’s a gift. And we are so grateful that we can make art. (C’mon, it’s pretty darn cool, right?) Which is why we’re unapologetically enthusiastic – and slightly nerdy – about learning and growing as artists.
This is a community genuinely and authentically rooted in kindness and compassion. We believe, first and foremost, in being a good human and in taking care of each other through the chaos and craziness of life.
USE THIS COMMUNITY TO BUILD YOUR CREATIVITY
When you have questions about what is the best brand, how to use a new medium, are stuck on a page, need some creative accountability but your In Real Life (IRL) friends don’t get it -we are here for you.
WE CHEER EACH OTHER ON FROM NOVICE TO PROFESSIONAL ARTIST
Maybe you’re putting your first mark on a page or maybe you’re the headliner at a gallery show in Paris. No matter where you are, we are here to cheer you on as equals, as artists.
WE OPERATE ON THE PAY IT FORWARD MANTRA
What you share will come back to you tenfold. When you come to the community to ask a question consider answering a few questions from others – so you take a little bit and you give back.
WE ARE A GLORIOUSLY DIVERSE COMMUNITY.
We celebrate art that reflects who the artist is. The beauty of Get Messy being an online community is that we are from all parts of the world and we believe in accepting all cultures, art and experiences that reflect that.
WE ARE A SAFE SPACE
Get Messy is a safe and inclusive place for artists of all genders. Our women’s spaces are for anyone who identifies as femme or female, including trans and non-binary folks.
A MESSY, IMPERFECT FAMILY
Have you ever told a very long story about how beautiful and smooth your new oil pastels are only to be met by blank stares and an awkward conversation shift?
But not here.
Here, we RAVE about art supplies, understand having too many ideas, and know the pains of an artist block.
Get Messy is your type of people.
HOW TO GET THE MOST FROM THE COMMUNITY
Share your personal experiences with a product or art struggle someone is going through, even though you might not be the expert. We love personal stories about art experiences. Anyone can google what the best gouache is but no one else can tell that story about how you once spilt a pot of gouache on your cat.
You’re an expert of your own experience and that is just as valid as being a professional.
COMMUNITY VIBE KILLERS
We’re here to facilitate an amazing community experience in your art journey. That being said, we’re here in order to protect this safe space. We’re fierce mama bears. If you break these guidelines or commit community vibe killers, we reserve the right to cancel your membership at anytime, without refund.
If you ever see something that doesn’t quite match our community guidelines or is killing the vibe, please reach out to us directly.
Here’s a list of vibe killers that we obviously encourage you not to do and will be reaching out if we or other members notice:
- Technical, membership, or newsletter questions should be sent directly through our contact form. All technical posts will be removed from the forums. We are excited to help you out and want make sure to get you back to creating ASAP.
- We encourage people to share useful resources, but sharing of “competitor” information, get rich quick schemes and snake oil selling is prohibited. Duh.
- In the Get Messy Zoom room, you must show who you are. You can do this through video and audio (the default). If you are unable to use your microphone or webcam, you MUST make sure that you say hi and introduce yourself in the Zoom chat within 15 minutes of arriving. If you do not do this, you will be kicked out of the hangout. This is for the safety of the entire group and to allow for vulnerability and authenticity.
- Do not start divisive or unkind discussions – politics, religion, and money are almost always divisive. Please be aware that Get Messy is an international and very diverse group and handle these with trepidation. Respect that others have viewpoints that may be different to your own.
- The main purpose of Get Messy is art and community. Get Messy should not be used to replace the care of a health care professional. Do not rely on the site, its members, or teachers for diagnosis or treatment. Any discussion on mental health should be done in the context of art. We are a space that believes in therapy with a qualified health care professional.
HOW TO MAKE THE MOST OF GET MESSY HANGOUTS
For those glorious humans joining our Open Hangouts, here’s a list of Dos and Don’ts:
- show up! – we’d love to see you in the Get Messy hangouts on Zoom.
- follow the community guidelines – make sure to follow the Get Messy Terms & Conditions and Community Guidelines at all times.
- make sure to put your video on – this is a rule for all Get Messy hangouts.
- mute yourself when you’re not talking – mics pick up weird noises, so as a courtesy to others, stay muted unless you’re busy chatting.
- come as you are – makeup free, messy hair, in your PJs, without pants, whatever this means for you. This is a judgement-free space.
- be brave – we’d love to see you there.
- ask questions – use this time to ask creative questions and receive help in real time.
- make equal space – we have a lot of introverts in this community so be mindful of whether you’re taking up too much space in the conversation. Allow silence for others to have the space to share their thoughts.
- don’t use the hangouts as a “therapy” session – The main purpose of Get Messy is art and community. Get Messy should not be used to replace the care of a health care professional. Do not rely on the site, its members, or teachers for diagnosis or treatment. Please do not share all of your problems in a hangout and rather rely on your closest friends for this.
- don’t start divisive discussions – politics, religion, and money are almost always divisive. Please be aware that Get Messy is an international and very diverse group and handle these topics with trepidation. Respect that others have viewpoints that may be different to your own.
- don’t worry about being shy – most of us around these parts are shy until you get to know us. It’s perfectly acceptable to join in on a hangout, and quietly create as you listen to the chatter around you.
We all maintain this safe space. If someone in your call is not following the rules, please send an email to [email protected]. It is up to all of us to nurture this community and keep it the magical unicorn that it is.
HOW TO BE BRAVE
- Find a hangout that someone you know from the community goes to regularly – see when the next time they are going is, add it to your calendar so that you don’t forget.
- Gather your supplies and install Zoom in advance on your computer or iPad (a phone works too, but you can see more people on a bigger screen).
- Join in – if someone’s there say “Hey, this is my first time, I’m going to sit back and create”. That way you have no pressure on yourself. You can even simply type it and not talk at all.
- Sometimes when you join in, people are in the middle of a conversation. In this case, just wave and work in your art journal and listen to them chatting.
- Don’t even worry about how to add to the conversation if you feel overwhelmed. A lot of the most regular hangout-ers are mainly just creating and not talking, and we all love it! There’s something really nice about just knowing there’s someone creating with you… no pressure to continue a conversation.
This probably won’t apply to you, because you’re awesome. But we need to put this here cause our lawyer told us to.
- You may not use, share, copy, sell or create derivative works from any Get Messy content, including but not limited to, courses, media, content, tutorials, and photos. You may not claim any Get Messy content as your own.
- We retain the right to remove any comments or content we feel are inappropriate, without explanation. Get Messy is not responsible for any comments or content you upload on the Website or through the Service.
- Please use good judgement and common sense when sharing confidential information within the group. You are responsible for the information you share and the interactions you have with any other participant.
- Get Messy Art UG (haftungsbeschränkt) is not responsible for the actions, behaviors or practices of any individual, group, or company that is involved in Get Messy or mentioned by a member in the community.
- Get Messy’s logo, branding, imagery and photos are all owned by Get Messy Art UG (haftungsbeschränkt) and should not be removed, used or claimed without express written permission. All of Get Messy Art UG (haftungsbeschränkt)’s ownership in its trademarks, trade dress and copyright is strictly enforced.
WE LOVE THIS MAGICAL COMMUNITY
The humans in this community are what Get Messy is all about.
Community and creativity are the greatest gifts we have received and are so grateful that we get to experience it all together with you. Thank you for sharing your artist journey with us. We love every single art achievement you reach and every single splatter of paint you splatter.
Kindness is the backbone of our group. We all need encouragement and support from other people. It’s our mission to provide this amazing space for awesome people just like you.
Thanks for reading through this entire page. If you have any questions, please reach out. We’re so happy to have you as part of our family and we look forward to watching you grow in your artistic journey.
Also, know that we love gifs.
Art and love,
Caylee + the Get Messy Team