- Freedom Prompts + Sidekick
- Stone textures: Juxtaposing texture and colour in your work
- Flowers of Freedom with the Gelli Plate
- Joy Notes and being inspired by yourself
- The Freedom to Get Inspired From Art History
- It’s Happening Now: Making Art Fast and Slow to Create a Page of Opposites
- Liberate yourself through abstract art (Perfectionism is an illusion)
- Playing with Masks: Using Masking with Acrylic Mediums to Create Layered Spreads
- Paint a Flutter of Ethereal Watercolour Butterflies
- Collography: Printing with Texture
- Hand Lettering Bold Statements
Hand Lettering Bold Statements
Hello! Alicia here from Vine & Thistle. In my last tutorial as a part of the Get Messy Creative Team, I am going to be showing you how to create a bright and bold hand lettered statement. Over this last year, I’ve been reflecting on my art journaling, and I’ve found that I consistently love adding hand lettering to my art journal. I have been trying to mix it up a little to give some variety to the lettering, and today, I’m going to share with you one of my favorite and simple ways of adding a bold message to my art journal.
- Art journal
- Paint marker (my favorite ones are Posca), acrylic paint, or colored pencils
- Printed out words (I suggest using a sans serif font)
Pick out your word or words and 3 bold colors and add your bold hand lettered statement to your art journal! Feel free to play with this and come up with any alternative way of making this you (maybe add a pattern to one of the sections or change the font up).
If you are free handing the lettering, remember to first write the letters in a single line format with a pencil and then go back in and add the boxed lines around your letters to create thicker and even lined lettering.
Now it’s Your Turn
- Choose a word or small set of words.
- Use pencil to draw the word(s) on your spread.
- Pick 3 bold colors to fill in the words, space above and space below. (Use a dark color for the space below, a lighter color for the space above, and any other coordinating color for the words.)
- Share your art journal and tag us on Instagram! We can’t wait to see your bold message!
Alicia lives in Portland, Oregon. She loves to create intuitively and freely and let the art come out without holding back. When it all comes together on a spread, it feels magical, meaningful, and like a deep breath for her soul.