- Music Prompts + Sidekick
- Music Inspir-action
- Adding Texture Into Your Pages
- Painting Water Colour Portraits
- Color Theory
- How to draw a song
- Create an Inspiring Instagram Feed to Fuel those Creative Juices
- Including song lyrics in your art journal
- 10 Songs 10 Minutes 10 Pages
- How to Paint a Watercolor Galaxy
- Creating pages inspired by cover art
- Paper Aging & Distressing Techniques
- How to set your Intentions for the Season
- Creating burned and stitched art journal pages
Painting Water Colour Portraits
Hi Everyone, it’s Tanyalee back with another tutorial for the Season of Music. This season I decided to show you all how I make water colour portraits. They aren’t your standard portraits, and I will show you two different types. One is a posterized image painted in a monotone style, and the other is a faceless character portrait. Here are some examples of art journal spreads that I have made previously that gave me the idea for this tutorial.
What You’ll Need
- An image – choose a photo with a fair amount of contrast – so a light background
- Access to a photo manipulation app (like PicMonkey or Photoshop)
- Access to a printer to print out your image
- Water colour paper
- HB Pencil or Graphite Tracing Paper
- Water colours (either pan or tubes)
- Paint brush (you can use a regular brush or a water brush)
Let’s Get Started
I’ve prepared a video for you that shows the process for both of the portrait techniques as they are actually very similar. I hope you enjoy it, even though it is a little long.
I hope you found this technique inspiring and useful, and seeing as though we are in the Season of Music, here is a challenge for you, perhaps you could even call it a bonus prompt – choose a photo from the internet of your favourite musician and make a watercolour portrait of them. Share what you make using your chosen social media and then link it up over on the prompts page so we can all see it. If you are posting on Instagram, don’t forget to tag it #getmessyartjournal and #seasonofmusic.
Until next season, enjoy getting messy with art xx
Tanyalee is a mum to three grown up kids, a wife to her childhood sweetheart, a full time graphic designer and a part time crafter/art journaler. She loves growing veggies to feed her family, she loves raising her fur babies (cats, rabbits and guinea pigs) and she loves spending her spare time just pottering around her house. Tanyalee LOVES being at home more than anything else – as long as her family is nearby.