For the month of January, we focused on creative collaboration at Get Messy. Claudette Hasenjager and Char DeRouin led the way to nurture a safe space for artists to find their creative soul mate. For just the month, or for beyond.
This excitement about creative collaboration stemmed from their own experiences collaborating with each other. In this episode, we discuss their fears, style mixing, and mutual fangirling while being each other’s personal cheerleader. We discuss the best way to find someone to collaborate with, what working with another artist has done to their own work, and just generally get mushy about each other.
It’s a vrou-mance (an Afrikaans version of Bro-mance for women) and it’s beautiful to listen to. By the end of the episode, you’ll be rushing to your phone to invite one of your favourites to make some art with you.
Podcast Show Notes
- Get Messy’s Season of Collaboration
- Artist Tinder
- how having a collaboration is a great way of starting something new (like a YouTube channel!)
- how to make a collaboration your own
- the definition of artist collaboration
- the two most important things for any artist collaboration: trust and honesty and practical ways to create that
- knowing that you’re not alone in your creative struggles
- being someone else’s cheerleader and having your own personal cheerleader
- how your style evolves when you study another artist’s work
- looking for the gems
- 3 tips for a successful collaboration:
- be yourself
- choose community over competition
- choose fun!
- collaboration as a soft place to land